Education OR Indoctrination?
There is a quote I ran across that goes something like this:
“Education up to the point at which you realize your purpose, is simply Indoctrination”
“Uncle Yah Yah” by Al Dickens
Todays education system exemplifies exactly that! Let’s take a look. Let’s begin as usual with an UNDERSTANDING of the two words:
- 1 the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university.
- • the theory and practice of teaching.
- • a body of knowledge acquired while being educated.
- • information about or training in a particular field or subject.2
- give intellectual, moral, and social instruction to (someone, especially a child), typically at a school or university.
- provide or pay for instruction for (one's child), especially at a school.•
- give (someone) training in or information on a particular field.
late Middle English: from Latin educat- ‘led out’, from the verb educare, related to educere ‘lead out’ (see educe).
- the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.
- teaching; instruction: methods that were approved for indoctrination in divinity.???
My examination of these two concepts led me to “thinking critically”, the very thing that modern education shuns. Critical Thinking is the spark that ignites the flame.
Looking at the definitions of these words provided by the Webster family several things jump out:
- Systematic Instruction (noun form)
- Intellectual, Moral, and Social Instruction
- training in or information on a particular field
- led out (orgin)
- the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefsuncritically
Within this oppressive society, this systematic approach directly effects the intellectual, moral, and social templates of behavior patterns. At a very early age we are exposed to a learning system which first and foremost destroys our “Intrinsic Worth” (the kingdom of GOD is within).
We are born with “Worth” through our “TRUE” connection with the Omnipresence, Omniscience, and Omnipotence of our Divine Creator.
Creation of Un-Worthiness
When we enter the school system our “Worth” begins to be molded by society. Our participation in our education system aids us in the development of our sense of right and wrong, deserving or non-deserving, passing or failing. We are asked to prove that we are “worthy” of approval, acknowledgement, appreciation, and LOVE.
They're many ways that our system of education shapes our ideas, thoughts, and beliefs about personal worth. Here are some things to think about:
- Diverse Grading Systems
- The suppression of Critical Thinking
- Suppression of Imagination (logic based instruction/left brain)
Indoctrination Into Society
The definition of the word indoctrination says it all. “the process of teaching a person or a group to accept a set of beliefs”. Your beliefs shape your reality.
Our “Societal Belief System” seems to be founded on levels of WORTH. Worthiness is determined by levels of education. And, the level of education determines where we fit in as a consumer. The level of consumerism says it all. The current concept of education “leads us” to fit into this model.
We must fit into the “Group Dynamics”. If we learn to think for ourselves we don’t fit in. We are then emotionally punished. We are faced with disapproval, and disappointed. We are even determined to be un-worthy of LOVE.